What is Abroadening?
Abroadening is a mission – it’s an online TV show chronicling the journey of Mindaugas Markus (that’s me), a crowdsourced adventure of going abroad and living out the unreal and the impossible. Abroadening is one man’s adventure to live life, full out – with the help of a few thousand friends.
We have all dreamed or read about wild adventures in fiction novels, seen them in the movies, have imagined ourselves as the heroes of our own life. But how many of us have real adventures to call our own? How many of us have dared to dream and experience the very things that our souls know are possible? This is what abroadening is all about – transforming these dreams into our realities. I’ll go first. I hope you come along.
And if you can’t come with, I hope you can help me get there. This journey will be impossible without your help. Collectively you know far more than me – you know of something remarkable to see, have a friend who lives in a foreign country, know a guy who knows a guy who sails yachts in the Mediterranean. Hook me up – and I’ll share the adventure with you. Or maybe you just share my values of living passionately & want to meet for a coffee in Prague – great! We’ll get that on the show too.
At various times, abroadening will mean something different to different people. Here’s a few ways of looking at it. Pick one, or create a definition of your own…
- it’s an online TV show
- it’s a journey in the making
- it’s crowdsourced & crowdshared adventure (more on that later)
- it’s a community of like minded people around the world who share the values of living passionately, love, connecting to others, and going after the very things that make them feel alive, connected, and happy
- a vehicle to inspire others to act on their dreams & make them real
- a way to experience the world by going abroad and shifting perspective, creating new realities, & challenging the very notion of “what’s possible”
- me, running around the world with a cameraman and wrecking havoc, laughing, and finding out more about myself and the world
- the unshow. A constant striving to be authentic and real, unlike what we’ve come to expect and see on most “reality shows” that are now mostly scripted
Who’s Behind Abroadening?
Hi. My name is Mindaugas Markus and I will be your host for this show. Here’s a little more about me.
When I was a wee lad of 10, my mom had enough of living in Lithuania, packed up my sister and me and immigrated to the United States. I spent most of my life living in Sarasota, FL. I graduated the University of Florida in 2002, entered law school, only to leave it a few months later – realizing that I didn’t want to become a law zombie (a lawmbie if you will. trademarked). I quickly made the goal of never having to write a resume in my life (which I’ve succeeded @ to this day). I started a web design company with one of my best friends and ever since then I’ve made my money creating websites online (first for others, and now for ourselves). I still live in Sarasota, FL but have spent the last year traveling all over the states, Caribbean, and Europe.
Then one day I decided to take it all to the next level and share my love of travel with the world. BAM! Abroadening was born.
Just to get an idea of who I am, here’s some stuff I’m into: photography, social dynamics, self-awareness & improvement (Power of Now, Landmark Forum, Tony Robbins), discovering new music, anything living that lights up, philosophy, delicious food, dancing, social media, heights, frozen yogurt, night swimming, world domination.